Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Further Improvement of Learning Method

I recently read an article that highlighted some of the reasons that simply reading something doesn't really lead to the intense type of learning that I pursue. The reality is that for your mind to really learn something it needs to make mistakes and be challenged in a concrete sort of way. This is whats so great about subjects that implement instant feedback. Because of this I've decided to reassess my method for improving. Although reading is important to learning, immediate integration of the concept is more important. Since what I want to be good at is designing games, writing music and writing creative sci-fi stories I have lots of opportunities to explore immediate integration.

I also have a great amount of time to try implementing this technique in the next week which I have off from school. Ill try and implement it sooner rather then later although this will mean my focus will be completely breadth-wise.

My new approach to learning and assimilating techniques/knowledge from these different activities should heavily emphasize some sort of independent integrative techniques. Potentially the most revealing thing is that my main focus should be activities that actually integrate all of these tasks together. Write a short story in sic-fi about some concept/philosophy I've been thinking about. Write a song that goes with the short story. Make a game that incorporates the sci-fi story at least in a very weak way and incorporates the music in a much more obvious way. This way I would be furthering everything I should be all at once. The problem with this method is its hard to know when you should create rather then learn something new.

So the general formula seems to be to loop: Read--> plan bundle-->execute bundle


The bundle here consists of the tri-fecta of activities being writing music, writing code, and writing stories and their interrelated nature(no matter how weak).

This is my recursive plan from now on. I will try and do this as frequently as I can. This will no doubt slow my reading progress map while hopefully pushing my real progress map to its furthest.

No comments:

Post a Comment