Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Update

The last couple days I've been working on programming more and more independently. I mentioned last post that I would construct a task/test for myself so I think I'll shed some light on that now. The assignment I created for myself is really pretty open ended(the main reason for this is I'm still not trying to make a specific game, but rather integrate techniques/structures and programming practices to apply the tricks I've been learning). Pretty much the main point of it is to create a "game" which has multiple levels where each level exhibits different things I've learned how to do. This project is well under way and I've set up what seems to be a fairly functional framework for multiple levels and system states. The next challenge becomes trying to create complex and interesting environments in each of these levels. For me each of these levels is pretty much a great place to show some of the things I've learned how to do already/reuse code I've already written. Understand though, that reusing a lot of this code is not as easy as just copying and pasting classes in folders. This is mostly because as programs get larger and more complicated their structure actually changes a lot. This makes smaller applications tricky to integrate into larger things. In as3 having access to the stage is particularly strange when your program has many more levels then just a simple application/main class with simple support classes also. Anyways, I've been progressing well enough that I thought I should post here. I wish I was writing more music now but I'm really trying to make huge steps towards video game programming. Hopefully by this winter break I actually will be able to post a song and then mass produce a bunch more. Everyone knows that the best way to learn anything is through continuously doing it many times. Emphasis on the quantity over quality aspect here. This is exactly why I want to get back into writing music as soon as possible.
PS. I'm continuing my reading as well(its starting to take me into some really interesting directions).
I'm also going to get a whole lot of practices creating images/graphics for my game which I'm already anticipating with childlike glee!

No comments:

Post a Comment